Monday, February 1, 2010

Test Kitchen Tuesday {Peanut Butter Cookies}

I love to bake. It stems from a combination of a sweet tooth the size of a horse's molar, the need to experiment and the fact that I operate by calculations better than guess-timations. I also like to have something to give away to people, it makes me happy to share baked goods or crafts and I hope it gives other people that same tingly, fuzzy feeling inside that I get. It's just so much fun to share homemade items!
So I will be sharing my experiments on Test Kitchen Tuesdays. And they will be just that - I'm sure I will have some flops, some really big messes but hopefully some recipes that I would like to share. I might even throw in some crafts.

Peanut Butter Cookies
I had been having a hankering for some PB cookies and realized that I didn't have a favorite recipe in my book yet. I decided that that is one thing that is a MUST to have so I've been on the hunt. I came across an oatmeal -PB cookie recipe and decided to give it a try. Sadly, the only peanut butter that I had was the kind you have to mix everytime you use it (the kind with way less sugar) and because of the runnier consistency I was hesitant to try to bake with it. I learned my lesson - keep some good ol' Jif around for baking purposes. Then I discovered some chunky almond butter and thought, hmmm, this could be interesting! The cookies turned out alright, my dad loved them because they were a tad crispy* (even when I tried baking them a minute or two less they were just plain dry). This would not do for me because I favor chewy cookies. Unless they are to dunk in milk/tea/coffee, otherwise I love me a chewy cookie. So that recipe is out.

Next I decided to go the traditional route thinking that I could make adjustments from there. I turned to Martha Stewart for a tried and true recipe and what I found turned out stellar! Well, it gets a 9 out of 10 vote. But beware - Martha lied on her baking time. She says leave them in the oven for 18 - 22 minutes. If I did that they would have turned out crispier than a dog biscuit. I adjusted to 12-13 minutes. Just had to pay attention.



They were already looking good before going into the oven! I admit, I ate my fair share of dough as I was rolling and pressing the cookies. Also - Mom gave me some awesome new baking liners for Christmas and this was the first time I got to put them to use. Love them!




They looked so tasty after crossed with a fork.


I made two batches of these cookies. To the second I added
and they turned out delicious! I didn't add a measured quantity, just enough so that each cookie would have a good amount. Plus, they added a nice little chewiness.


Ta da! Ok, here is evidence of my dad's peculiar cookie tastes - *he loves a crispy cookie. He also loves it when there are things in/on the cookies that aren't supposed to be there - peanuts, raisins, almonds, chocolate chips. When I say "aren't supposed to be there" I mean the recipe does not call for them or it doesn't even go. Oh well, as long as I make a few special cookies just for him (and cook one sheet a few minutes longer) he's happy and my cookies don't end up with a suprise or two.

The only reason this recipe didn't get a 10 out of 10 is because I still think they could be a little chewier. Has anyone had the PB cookies at Subway? Oh my gosh - they are my secret little weakness. Not sure how many chemicals or how much corn syrup is in those things but they are sooo yummy.
Anyway, I hope to have another recipe tested by next week. Viva Peanut Butter!

2 comments:

Mama H said...

Hey, this is awesome! I love some hot and chewy PB cookies too! And, I've always got the (bad for you) Jiff in the cupboard, and the (good for you) natural PB in the fridge. You're right about need ing the bad stuff for baking! I've been wanting to add a cooking/baking thread to my blog, but just haven't had the time. I will live vicariously through you! I have a killer recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter cookies. Maybe I'll pass it along to you, and you can test them out. They come out pretty chewy!

LScheller said...

I would LOVE trying your recipe! That would be fabulous :)